Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Bidding my Rogers TV a Fond Farewell

Any of you who have known me professionally for the past few years know of my trials and tribulations with Rogers TV. What you may not know is that I have recently decided to take an extended, and perhaps permanent, leave of absense from my former employer. The decision wasn't easy, but it is certainly a long time coming.

I have been with the company since January of 2003, when I first stepped on to the scene in Brantford as the latest journalist looking to make a name for himself in the anti-climactic rise to media stardom. I can vividly remember that first interview with JoAnne Rizzo at the Brant Curling Club as she got ready with her team to compete for a chance to represent Ontario in the national championships. Who would have thought that humble beginning would have exploded into what has been a very intriguing career.

Throughout the years I have found myself with one contract after another, whether it be as a studio producer, newsmagazine producer, sports host, or any number of other roles that needed a temp fix. Something like 10 contracts across 5 1/2 years as I recall, although I certainly lost track a long time ago. And despite the numerous calls to come and help, never once did the call come when it came time to fill a position full time. To this day, I still can't figure out why.

There have been a few stumbling blocks along the way that certainly may have painted a negative picture within management. Two incidents stand out, although the fall out from the primary incident was followed immediately by the signing of my new contract. And the second was just recent, a few wayward fans of Swap Shop who seemed to take offense to not having Giovanni host their beloved show. Either way, there is not enough of a negative track record to explain the number of times my name has been overlooked.

But bitching isn't the point of this post, reflecting on an incredible time with my second family is. Five and a half years were not without their accomplishments. Over 200 news and newsmagazine stories, most of which were the leads on their program. Around 200 live productions as the producer. Hundreds of hours of work shooting and editing for news and sports. And one of my favourites, an on-air personality for a total of eight different sports in just a 3-year span. It has been one amazing run.

It seems fitting that it would come to an end with an election broadcast. Elections were a bit of a favourite of mine, and I have always taken pride in the coverage I have helped to provide. The federal election last week made the 7th straight election I have covered for Rogers TV, and I would dare say it was one of my better live TV performances. After all, you never saw my notes or a Blackberry in my hands, I didn't need them. Nor should have anyone else had they done their jobs right. But I digress...

I just want to say to all of the friends and colleagues who have been with me at some point during this amazing run, thanks so much for everything. It has been an incredible run, but it is time for me to say farewell just one last time...

2 comments:

Dave Carrol said...

You did some good work there man. Welcome to blogging!

Mr. Macklin said...

Thanks Dave. it was fun while it lasted...