Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Getting your priorities straight

I have been racking my brain over what to write about in my blog, but today I finally came up with a reason to write.

About a month ago I purchased tickets to tonight's hedley concert at Cenntennial Hall. It was my treat to Victoria and I to a busy first 6 or 7 weeks of school, both of us adjusting to new programs. It was going to be a nice night out mid-week to see a band whose music both of us find ourselves singing along to in the car.

Last night I started to realize that the current amount of school work was making for a tough balance, and that I would be cramming my time in my Tuesday to do assignments before heading to London. I was still convinced that the concert was a good idea for a good stress release for both of us, even with Victoria having two mid-terms for her Criminology program on Thursday afternoon.

Then the second shoe dropped, and the decision became harder, and not. My friend Ken, my broadcast partner for Inter-County Baseball on Rogers TV, lost his father to a rare form of cancer on Sunday. He was just 48 years old. Such a shame...

I found myself thrown into the debate of whether I could skip class in Hamilton long enough to get to the funeral home in Cambridge before picking up Vicki in Brantford and then moving on to London for the concert. I know I need to be there to support my friend, but I spent $100 on concert tickets...

A few minutes later, I realized that my priorities weren't where they should be. I suddenly realized that I wasn't thinking straight, and it all became clear...

School is important, being there for a friend is important, missing a concert is not important. There are priorities in this life that we have to realize, and sometimes things can cloud our judgement. Losing $100 on concert tickets will mean nothing in the road map of my life. But doing well in my course will. Being there for my friend will.

These things truly matter...

No comments: